Sunday, February 10, 2008

Parking

parking.jpg

Would you park like this? I live near a school and every Sunday they have a Chinese School program. About every third week someone parks partially blocking my driveway. Sometimes worse than this. I can usually get around but it's annoying. This is a pic from today. Usually I leave a note on the window saying "Do Not Block Driveway". I've looked up the law, and in MA it varies by town. In my town you have to leave 5 feet around a driveway. I'd be happy if they left merely an inch and weren't encroaching into the driveway itself.

Today I got annoyed and walked down to the police officer assigned to direct traffic. She told me should couldn't leave her post to issue a ticket but I should call the police dispatch number.

I then walked to the school and found the main office. I waited for the principal but he disappeared and another woman helped me. I explained that this happened every third week and I didn't care so much about this one car but could they tell their parents (yet again) to be considerate where they park. There's a nearby lot they can use and I know the school's website says to do so, but parking on the street is closer, particularly in the cold. But don't block a driveway.

She was trying to get my information and I could see she didn't know how she would figure out which parent's car it was and I wasn't getting through that I was looking for a strategic solution instead of a tactical one. The principal reappeared and the woman brought him over. He wasted no time telling me to call the police and have the car towed. As long as I can get by I'm content with them getting a ticket. So I called the police number (not 911) and surprisingly got a machine and left a message. Well see what happens.

5 comments:

The Dad said...

you're well on your way to becoming that crazy old guy who sits on his porch with a loaded shotgun yelli,ng "gitoffa mah property!"

:)

Reminds me of my neighbor who got annoyed when guests at our house took up most of the street parking. He had guests coming for a Steeler game. We had guests over for a Shiva for my mother-in-law. We win.

DKB said...

No, Howard's not that guy. I know, because I'm going to be that guy. I'd have called the police first if I didn't know where to find the driver of the car. And I'd have been perfectly happy with the tow. Been there, done that, though it was a party down the street from my house where no one would own up to driving the car. They were not very happy when it wasn't there some 2 hours later when they wanted to go home. Granted, it was completely blocking the driveway, but I might not have made an extraordinary effort to get around if it had only been partially blocking. Yeah, I'm not nice... but it's the driver's fault.

Howard said...

Yup I was thinking about your comments when I wrote the post. :)

Anonymous said...

Aren't you worried that your crazy stalker fans will now be able to find you house using that picture?

Howard said...

I had a friend over on Sat who had been here a couple of times before but wasn't sure how to find the specific street. She had seen this video and looked for the construction site.