Saturday, February 16, 2008

Flu II

Thanks for the well wishes. I think this is my first flu vs a regular cold. I had some difficulty sleeping for the last couple of weeks. I had a stuffy nose only when sleeping and woke up during the night. Though other things like construction sounds, snow plows at 3 freakin' am and a noisy upstairs neighbor could have contributed.

Wed night was a lot worse and on Thu I had a fever and called for a doctor's appointment on Fri. They gave me rapid strep and flu tests and the flu one came up positive. The doctor and nurse stayed out of the room until they could get me a surgical mask but they still were whining that they got exposed. Why they weren't wearing masks themselves, I don't know. Apparently lots of people around here came down with the flu this week.

He gave me a prescription for Tamiflu and I went to CVS to get it filled. When I was in Japan in 2001 I noticed lots of people walking around wearing surgical masks. It was really strange to me but made sense. It was mostly sick people who didn't want to infect others. It probably has to do with their tendency to not blow their nose but merely sniffle all the time which struck me as odd. At the time we discussed how strange this would be in the US, well now I've proved that. People in CVS gave me lots of strange looks. While looking for something in the middle of an aisle a father with 2 young boys came down the aisle, stopped, walked back up the aisle, down a different one and then up the other side of mine, just to avoid walking past me.

Yesterday when I got home I started in with the drugs and they've helped. Last night I woke up a few times but got a decent nights sleep. Of course I was woken up at 8am by the sounds of construction. Here's my view outside my front door.

Construction.jpg


By then the drugs had worn off and I felt like crap. A lot has moved to my throat and I have a nasty cough that hurts. Lots of general malaise too. I got up, took more drugs, got back into bed for a few hours and felt much better. I made some brunch which helped since aside from tons of fluids, all I ate yesterday was a small tv dinner. I watched a little TV, I think Bill Maher was better without his writers. Then I took a 3 hour nap. We'll see if I have enough energy to watch a movie this evening. Yes, I of all people, really don't have the energy to watch to a movie.

No comments: