Friday, February 08, 2008

Romney Suspends Campaign

I didn't hear Governor Mitt Romney Speech today, I just heard that he had suspended his campaign. Fine with me. A friend called to complain about the speech and said he didn't have a blog so he decided to talk to someone who did. He objected to the following:

"'And Barack and Hillary have made their intentions clear regarding Iraq and the war on terror. They would retreat and declare defeat. And the consequence of that would be devastating. It would mean attacks on America, launched from safe havens that make Afghanistan under the Taliban look like child's play. About this, I have no doubt.

'I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating Al Qaeda and terror. If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror. "

This really is fear mongering in the worst way. Electing a Democrat means we surrender to terror. That's bullshit but unfortunately it's not new from the Republicans. Jon Stewart tonight said his response to this: "Fuck You!"

Other things in the speech bothered me too. He talked about unique strengths of American culture. "we sacrifice everything we have, even our lives, for our families, our freedoms and our country" as if other people don't fight for their families or countries? Isn't that the definition of war?

I love crap like this: "The threat to our culture comes from within. The 1960's welfare programs created a culture of poverty" Yup, welfare is a threat to our culture. I don't even know what means. I think my favorite line was "[Liberals] fight to strip work requirements from welfare, to put more people on Medicaid, and to remove more and more people from having to pay any income tax whatsoever." Right, poor people should pay income tax and the rich should get more tax cuts. He didn't bother saying that part in this speech.

"Europe is facing a demographic disaster. That is the inevitable product of weakened faith in the Creator, failed families, disrespect for the sanctity of human life and eroded morality." What's a demographic disaster?

And this just bothers me: "Oil producing states like Russia and Venezuela, Saudi Arabia and Iran are siphoning over $400 billion per year from our economy – that's almost what we spend annually for defense. It is past time for us to invest in energy technology, nuclear power, clean coal, liquid coal, renewable sources and energy efficiency. America must never be held hostage by the likes of Putin, Chavez, and Ahmadinejad." It's amazing to me that he can mention clean coal and liquid coal right after each other. The first is lie to pretend it will help climate change, the second doesn't even bother to lie and is just worse. Romney doesn't even mention the environment or climate change. Nope no problem there at all.

At least he won't be president. Good Riddance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting the torch to that idiot speech. Those of us villagers with rakes and pikes but no platform enjoyed your thoughtful takedown. Granted it was CPAC and his job was to throw meat to the choir (very mixed metaphor). I guess if you're going to go out with a harangue instead of a wimper you might as well get your tens of millions worth. Good riddance is right. The John Stewart Fuck You just puts a ribbon on it.