Monday, July 28, 2008

Serious YouTube Test of Copyright Law

A couple of weeks ago I stopped into the new Boston Apple Store just to look around. Honestly, Apple stores kind of bore me as I know what all the products are and I'd rather use my own mac with Quicksilver on it than anyone else's mac, including one in a store. Still I do go into Apple stores pretty often and I can't explain why.

So this time I passed a table with an iMac and an employee giving a free tutorial on something. Only two people were at the table so I joined in. It was an iLife tutorial and while I know iPhoto well, and have used iMovie briefly, I really haven't used the other apps at all, so it's interesting to see them used.

At one point he used iDVD and dragged in some video and photos and added background music from his iTunes collection. Really in a just a couple of clicks he created something that could be burned to a DVD and played on any DVD player. I knew this, but it's cool to see.

But me being me, the first thing I thought was if you did burn that DVD and give it to someone, wouldn't it be a copyright violation for the song used as background music? Well, something like this is getting tested in the courts. Serious YouTube test of copyright law

"A woman who posted a home video on YouTube of her 13-month-old son dancing to Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" squared off Friday against entertainment giant Universal Music Corp. in a federal court case that tests copyright law."

It will be interesting to see how fair use gets defined. My guess is that she will lose and this will be deemed illegal. If the YouTube clip didn't have the whole song that might be different than my iDVD example, but it's related.

I don't know about the part about having YouTube pull it down without the creators permission. I suspect YouTube's terms of use gives them that ability.

No comments: