Thursday, September 28, 2006

Our Freedom

Bush said they hate our freedom. The writ of habeas corpus is one of the foundations of our freedoms. It allows the courts to oversee that the government doesn't wrongly imprison people. Bush and the Republicans are passing a bill that suspends this. The US Constitution, Article I, section 9, says "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it." Bush is doing more harm to our freedom than they are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are over-analyzing this saying. The phrase is nonsensical bullshit. A comment containing "habeas corpus" is really overdoing it :)

Howard said...

I agree "they hate our freedom" is bullshit, but I'm not sure about what this bill says about habeas corpus. I've just finished reading it, there's clearly a habeas corpus section, but much of it describes additions or subtractions to other laws which I haven't tracked down. Also as I read the bill it does only apply to aliens which it defines as non-US citizens. But I refer to others who are far more knowledgeable than me who have come to these conclusions.

Anonymous said...

Ahh... habeas-shmabeas... This video was a hit today in my office ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7x72X4mU29M