Monday, January 10, 2011

Two Congressmen Say They'll Be Armed in Their Districts

Politico writes 2 pols say they'll be armed back home "Both Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) and Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) told POLITICO they will be carrying their guns in their home districts for protection."

“You never think something like this will happen, but then it does,” Shuler said “After the elections, I let my guard down. Now I know I need to have [my gun] on me. We’re going to need to do a much better job of with security at these events."

I just don't see the logic. If only Giffords had been armed, she could have shot her attacker after having been shot in the head? Ok that doesn't work.

Maybe she should have shot him before he shot her? But then she would have been shooting a constituent for exercising his second amendment rights in bringing a gun to a political event. So that can't be right.

If the attacker knew she was armed he wouldn't have shot her? Again, I'm not thinking that that's the case here, I don't think he expected to get away. And if that's the logic, then why carry a concealed weapon?

"Chaffetz says he may ask local police officers to drop in on his town hall meetings more frequently." Really, that seems to make the most sense to me. Maybe more than "more frequently".

No comments: