Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oscar Nominations

I know I saw a lot of films last year but it seems I also saw a lot of good films. The Oscar Nominations were announced this morning and I've seen almost of them, way more than usual.

I've seen all ten of the Best Picture nominees. I've seen all of the Director, Cinematography, and Editing nominees. Of the four acting categories I've seen all but three: Javier Bardem in “Biutiful”, Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”, Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”. In the two writing categories I've seen them all but "Another Year".

I've only seen one of the animated films, I have to see "The Illusionist" (which hasn't played here yet) and "How to Train Your Dragon" (which Netflix has on DVD).

On the basis of what I've seen the most surprising category is Documentary where I've seen four of the five nominees. I have to see "Waste Land". I've seen none of the Foreign Language Films and only one of the 15 short films ("Day & Night" which played before "Toy Story 3").

I've seen all the sound editing and mixing nominees and missed only one of the visual effects nominees, "Hereafter".

I've seen all of the Art Direction nominees and I have to see Two in both Costumes ("I Am Love" and "The Tempest") and Makeup ("Barney's Version" and "The Way Back")

"How to Train Your Dragon" is the only one I have to see for Musical Score and this year's annoying category to finish is Best Song. I have to see Country Strong and Tangled.

I think my favorite nomination is John Hawkes in “Winter's Bone”. He was great in it and totally different from his Lost character (Lennon).

Toy Story 3 is up for best Adapted Screenplay. What was it adapted from? Apparently the Writers Guild Association was even stricter for it's awards and found it ineligible (along with many others) for any category. I guess that won't be a useful predictor award.

So I have to see 14 shorts, 5 foreign films (one, Dogtooth is available on Netflix streaming though based on Ebert's review I'm not that interested), one documentary, two animated films and the following:

Rabbit Hole
Blue Valentine
I Am Love
The Tempest
Barney's Version
The Way Back
Country Strong
Tangled
Hereafter
Another Year

Of the films I haven't seen, all have just one nomination except How to Train Your Dragon and Biutiful which have two.

2 comments:

Michael Critz said...

Oddly enough Tron 2: Son of Tron didn’t get a VFX nomination. Yet, somehow, Hereafter did. I haven’t seen it. Was it worth anything?

Howard said...

I haven't seen it either.