Saturday, September 27, 2008

An Underreported Part of the Palin Couric Interview

Here's the whole Couric interview:



It's the second question I haven't heard much about. When asked why she didn't get a passport until last year and if that indicated a lack of interest or curiosity of the world, she said

"I'm not one of those who maybe came from a background of kids who perhaps graduate college and their parents get 'em a passport and give 'em a backpack and say go off and travel the world. Nooooo, I've worked all my life. In fact I've usually had two jobs all my life until I had kids. I guess I was not part of that culture. The way I've understood the world is through education, through books, through mediums that have provided me a lot of perspective of the world"

I wish Couric would have asked her to name the books that most influenced her world view.

Two jobs before she had kids. She graduated college at age 23 and had her first child at 25. That would be potentially two years with two jobs? I don't think it was that much. This is all wikipedia has for her work experience: "In 1988, she worked as a sports reporter for KTUU-TV in Anchorage, Alaska, and for the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman as a sports reporter. She also helped in her husband’s commercial fishing family business."

And for education, her communications-journalism degree took 5 years at 4 colleges:
1 semester at Hawaii Pacific College
2 semesters at North Idaho College
2 semesters at the University of Idaho
1 semester at Matanuska-Susitna College
3 more semesters at the University of Idaho

Obama went to a number of colleges too.
2 years at Occidental College
2 years at Columbia University getting a degree in political science with a specialization in international relations
3 years at Harvard Law School getting a JD magna cum laude and was president of the Law Review
12 years teaching constitution law at University of Chicago Law School

Yeah, she's just as qualified as he is to be in the oval office.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrei and I are grateful to Palin for a much needed comic relief. I still laugh when I think of Putin rearing his head and flying into American airspace. Maybe we should've cried, hard to tell.

Howard said...

Here, this image will help you remember and laugh.

DKB said...

re: Palin being good for comic relief... yeah, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, or until someone qualified loses an election to a crotchety old bastard and the Bride of Chucky. I don't find Palin funny at all, except when she's being played by Tina Fey. This woman is DEADLY serious, and deadly is just what a McCain administration would be, to our soldiers and to our economy and to anyone who's not "worth about $5 million."