Friday, September 19, 2008

iPhone Now?

A friend came over with his 3G iPhone running the 2.1 update. I didn't get 3G coverage in my house but it got 4 bars of Edge (2G), everywhere in my home. It could make calls and it received calls and the reception was good. He got 3G coverage just outside my house. I wonder if its frequency has more difficulties passing through buildings. Anyone (Karl?) know?

If I'm home 2G is fine (it's what I have now for Verizon voice service) and at home I'd be using wifi to surf anyway. I think I might have to go buy an iPhone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best device I have ever had, and you can also use it as a phone.

Howard said...

Assuming this is Andy, will it get you to try a mac?

Richard said...

Excellent rationalization.

Are you switching from Verizon to AT&T then? How do you feel about that?

DKB said...

The question on switching from Verizon to AT&T is not how Howard feels about it now... it will be how he feels about it in 60 days, after a few drives down to NJ and back. I don't personally know what AT&T's coverage is like through there, but I do know that all the major providers have vastly different performance as you move from region to region... Sprint's great some places, sucks some places... people love AT&T coverage or hate it depending on where they are, etc.

Howard said...

I want this as a phone, even though I don't use my cell all that much. The occasional calls to meetup with folks and the catching up with people while on a drive. I do want to receive any calls made to me, so yes coverage at home was a big deal to me. AT&T is decent in the NE, Verizon is better. In a drive down over July 4th a friend in the car got good coverage the whole way. Staying on highways helps :) In NYC last month friends got spotty coverage but I'm willing to bet now that it was the iPhone's problem and not AT&T's. Time will tell. AT&T's coverage will only get better, so if it's merely almost good enough now, that's fine.