Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscars Tonight

I've managed to see almost every film nominated in every category. There are a few exceptions. I haven't seen Defiance which has one nomination for original score. I also missed Bolt nominated for animated feature. I did see all the animated and live action shorts but none of the documentary shorts. And I saw two each of the foreign language film and documentary nominations. So of 51 films nominated I saw 39 and missed 12 (4 of which were shorts). Not bad. I saw all 15 films with multiple nominations.

What follows is what I'd like to see win each category, not what I think will win (I'm still working that out for my pool). These also aren't my favorites for the year, I'm limiting this to films that are nominated.

Picture: The Reader
Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Actor: Sean Penn
Actress: Kate Winslet
Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis
Adapted Screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire
Original Screenplay: Happy-Go-Lucky, In Bruges, Wall-E (hard to decide)
Score: Slumdog Millionaire
Song: "Jai Ho", Slumdog Millionaire
Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire
Film Editing: Slumdog Millionaire
Sound Mixing: The Dark Knight
Sound Effects Editing: The Dark Knight
Visual Effects: Iron Man
Art Direction: Benjamin Button
Costumes: The Duchess
Makeup: Benjamin Button
Animated Feature: Wall-E
Foreign Film: The Class
Documentary: Encounters at the End of the World
Animated Short: Presto
Live Action Short: New Boy
Doc Short: no opinion

And yes I'm very behind in writing movie reviews.

No comments: