Friday, February 13, 2009

Dumb Congressional Voting

I keep hearing about my sick Senator Kennedy making it to Washington DC to cast critical votes in the Senate when needed and being elsewhere trying to recover from brain cancer when not needed. Can someone tell me in this day and age, why a Senator needs to be present in the Senate chamber to cast a vote?

Article I Section 7 says "But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively." But otherwise I think each house can determine it's own rules.

I can see that it's difficult to allow everyone to vote electronically in general elections, but 532 elected officials? Let them use iChat video.

No comments: