Monday, February 16, 2009

Movie Review: The Wrestler

The Wrestler by Darren Aronofsky (of Pi and Requiem for a Dream fame) follows Randy 'The Ram' Robinson, a former famous pro wrestler who's now barely eeking out an existence wrestling in high school gyms on weekends and signing autographs. And by "follow" I mean that literally. I'd say maybe a quarter of this film is shot on a handheld camera by a cameraman standing right behind him. We see the back of his head a lot.

Mickey Rourke does an impressive job as Randy. He looks the part, does many of his own stunts, is suitably depressed and as countless articles have pointed out, has actually lived this life. Marissa Tomei is similarly good as Cassidy a stripper that Randy pines for. Both are weary souls the 90s left behind. Evan Rachel Wood is his estranged daughter Stephanie who doesn't want any involvement with him anymore.

It's getting praise for its authentic and natural presentation of the characters. It's true that there's nothing sentimental about it and I'm sure that's difficult to achieve, but I found it predictable. I've seen comparison to Raging Bull but to me it's Leaving Las Vegas Lite.

Good performances, in a small film that was trying to do a slice of a lost life. I just wish there was more to it.

No comments: