Friday, February 13, 2009

If The Right Were Intellectually Honest ...

Andrew Sullivan writes If The Right Were Intellectually Honest ...

"This Manzi post would be their argument going forward. Here's why they are not being intellectually honest, and Manzi's post includes the relevant facts. The GOP has passed what amounts to a spending and tax-cutting and borrowing stimulus package every year since George W. Bush came to office. They have added tens of trillions to future liabilities and they turned a surplus into a trillion dollar deficit - all in a time of growth. They then pick the one moment when demand is collapsing in an alarming spiral to argue that fiscal conservatism is non-negotiable. I mean: seriously. The bad faith and refusal to be accountable for their own conduct for the last eight years is simply inescapable. There is no reason for the GOP to have done what they have done for the last eight years and to say what they are saying now except pure, cynical partisanship, and a desire to wound and damage the new presidency. The rest is transparent cant."

I agree, but I'm still having a hard time figuring out their motivation. As near as I can tell there are only three possible reasons:

1. They want the country to fail.
2. They are dumb and don't understand the facts and options
3. They are agnostic about the country and only care about regaining power

My problem with 3 is that they had power and I don't see anyway to evaluate what they did as a success in any fashion. I mean even Bush is citing his biggest thing in office as being helping African AIDS victims. That's something US citizens barely know about and as far as I know has never been a campaign issue for anyone seeking US public office. My problem with 1 and 2 is that I really don't believe them. That leaves me wondering what their motivation is. Does anyone know?

I know the Rush's, Coultures and Malkins just want their own voice to be heard. As damaging as they are, they don't have actual power, just influence. For those with actual power, those in Congress like 177 Republican representatives and 38 Republican Senators what are they trying to accomplish?

Update: Ok, maybe it is (appropriately) number 2. It seems they are taking economic advice from a plumber, Joe the Plumber (and yes I remember he's not really a plumber and isn't really named Joe). Or there is a bit of 3 in it.

No comments: