Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2007 Oscar Nominations

Oscar nominations were today. I hadn't really thought about predictions for the nominations but they seem pretty reasonable. Below are those films that got more than one nomination.

8 There Will Be Blood
8 No Country for Old Men
7 Michael Clayton
7 Atonement *
5 Ratatouille
4 The Diving Bell and the Butterfly *
4 Juno
3 Transformers
3 The Bourne Ultimatum
3 Sweeney Todd *
3 La Vie en Rose *
3 Enchanted *
2 The Savages
2 The Golden Compass
2 The Assassination of Jesse James *
2 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
2 Into the Wild
2 Elizabeth: The Golden Age *
2 Away from Her
2 American Gangster
2 3:10 to Yuma

I've seen all but the 7 marked with a *. If anyone is interested in seeing those with me, let me know.

Of the major categories, the only one I've seen all the nominated films is Original Screenplay. The others I've seen all but one, except for Best Actress where I'm missing 2. Of the minor categories I've seen all the nominations for Editing, Effects and the two Sound categories. But wow, I've seen none of the films up for Best Costumes. Enchanted got 3 nominations for 3 different songs so I'm week in that category.

Of the nominated documentaries, I've only seen one, Sicko. How The King of Kong didn't get nominated for Best Documentary I don't understand. Of the foreign and short films I've not heard of, let alone seen, any of them. These are the remaining films that got one nomination:

1 The Kite Runner
1 Surf's Up *
1 Persepolis
1 Once
1 Norbit *
1 Lars and the Real Girl
1 In the Valley of Elah
1 I'm Not There
1 Gone Baby Gone
1 Eastern Promises
1 Charlie Wilson's War
1 August Rush *
1 Across the Universe *

Norbit was one of the worst films of the year but got nominated for makeup. It will be at the end of my Netflix list.

I'm still working on my best of 2007 list. Certainly There Will Be Blood and
8 No Country for Old Men. So will Eastern Promises. I'm disappointed that Before the Devil Knows You're Dead didn't get any nominations. And while I didn't expect nominations I also really enjoyed The Simpsons Movie and Hot Fuzz.

I think this years Oscar Pool will be very interesting. I don't expect a single movie to sweep a lot of awards and many of the big categories will have several strong contenders. Should be a lot of fun. If I know you and you're interested in the pool, let me know.

No comments: