Monday, January 14, 2008

MacWorld Predictions

There have been a lot of predictions for what Steve Jobs will announce at MacWorld on Tuesday. I was going to do a long post with my predictions too, but I'd rather just wait. I'll give a few small things I'd like:

I use an AirPort Express to connect a printer and my stereo to the network. I want an AirPort Express that does 802.11n so that I can go to a pure n network and use Time Machine with an AirDisk (and I want that to work too). Even one g device will slow down the network and the AirPort Express is the only non-n device in the apple lineup. Time to correct that.

Everyone wants a smaller laptop and I suspect they'll announce one called the MacBook Air. I think Apple also needs a 15" macbook. Laptops sell more than desktops and a lot of switchers want an entry level machine but don't want a tiny screen. $2,000+ for a 15" macbook pro is more than they want to spend. The biggest difference between the machines is the graphics card. Maybe the pros will get blu-ray to differentiate more.

I'd really like to see an iPod touch with a hard disk. I have about 40GB of music and like having everything on one iPod with a big easy to use screen.

I suspect the Apple TV will get some kind of makeover with HD content available as rentals from the iTunes Store.

I don't expect WiMAX or a tablet. I want a 3G iPhone because AT&T's coverage at my home is crappy but supposedly I get good 3G coverage. I expect it later in the year, not on Tuesday.

For software announcements iLife and iWork have already been updated. Bento means there won't be a database app announced. I think what's missing is a real Outlook equivalent but I don't expect it either.

Ok, so there were some predictions there, but it was more hope than analysis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would add:
- the 1.1.3 update with copy and paste and a few other items.
- SDK release
- a price drop so I can buy one on Wednedsay