Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Huckabee Wants Amendments for God's Standards

Here's what Mike Huckabee said:

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution,' Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. 'But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

I've seen this on a lot of blogs and here's a
video. I've yet to find any quote of what he was saying just before this. I've heard hints about abortion and gay marriage. If that's what he says I'm in favor of an abortion amendment, though probably not the one Huckabee would like (but as I understand the one 70% of the population agrees with). I would like to remove this debate from the Supreme Court and stop selecting justices based on it.

Then again, I think basing anything in the constitution on a religious rationale violates the 1st amendment and is just really fucking frightening.

No comments: