Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Quicken on Mac

I run Quicken 2007 on the Mac. I noticed today that it's still a PowerPC app and realized that it won't run on Lion, aka OS X 10.7 (the next upgrade), as they are removing Rosetta support (the PowerPC emulator). It's not unreasonable on Apple's part, as they started the switch to Intel over 5 years ago. It is unreasonable on Intuit's part that they haven't kept up.

Quicken on Mac has always been behind the Windows version. They finally started the big rewrite to update it to modern OS X stuff, but the result so far is Quicken Essentials which is missing a lot of features (e.g., investment tracking). It came out a year ago (Feb 2010) and there's no word about an update. Well there is some semi-official word on a forum from an Intuit employee "suffice it to say that there will not be a new version of Quicken For Mac that will coincide with the release of or is designed specifically for Lion."

I know I could run Quicken for Windows in a VM but am really not very interested in returning to Windows for anything. So anyone got suggestions for a money management app on a Mac? I want it to track bank accounts, credit cards and investments. I want it to categorize transactions and generate reports, including end of year tax schedules. I'd like it to manage scheduling transactions like bills, but I don't need it to do bill paying (I use my bank for that) or even downloading data (I still enter all transactions by hand). It would be great if it could import my existing Quicken data. Anyone have experiences with something that could do that?

3 comments:

DKB said...

hasn't Apple come out with iMoney yet?

The Dad said...

Yeah, I saw the notice on this a week or so ago and was going to mention something, but forgot. As you know, Paul and I had been debating the use of Moneywell. He uses it, and I went as far as downloading it, but when I tried to connect it to my bank accts for download I managed to nerf up my online passcodes, and it took over a week for me to get that resolved. Since then I haven't gone back to it, but once I saw this I realized I should. I think Moneywell has everything you need in it, plus it has this "bucket" budgeting concept that probably isn't useful to you. Nice thing is on the MW website they have a number of videos that walk you thu different concepts so you can get a good idea of what you are getting from there. The bucket thing, BTW, is optional.

The Dad said...

Oh, and Dave, Apple did in fact come out with iMoney. It's there concept of "I make it, you give me your money." It seems to work for them.