Monday, March 14, 2011

iPad Apps

I didn't mean to spend yet another day playing with the iPad all day but c'est la vie. I just came across a free app called AppStart (normally $1 but free for a few days) and I wish I had found it sooner. It's a guide of apps to download, but it's very good, and based on AppAdvice. First it's pretty and contains links to the app store. Second it's well organized, with various collections of best news apps or weather apps or casual games. But it's the best such list I've seen anywhere. There are short reviews that get to the point and are reasonably up-to-date. In a lot of areas I spent the weekend doing my own research and mostly this app echoed what I found. It would have saved me a lot of time. It also has some intro to iPad article info. I thought the articles were well written though a few could have used editing or a better writer (hint, don't begin every sentence with "The app"). Great stuff, get it. Here's a review with some images and a video.

I found it via the app HotAppDeals which is an app that scans the app store for items that are updated or put on sale. You can have a watch list and get notifications if an app you're interested in goes on sale. That requires a free account and I haven't set one up. I think I like AppShopper better as it has better filtering options (limit apps to western languages, by category, etc.). It also needs a free online account for watch list features. On the iPhone I used BarginBin which kept the watch list locally with no account, but it's not iPad enabled.

And I've been looking for note taking apps and there are a plethora. This is by far the most useful review of them I've seen: The Best Note Taking App for iPad!. If you have experience with any of them I'm interested in hearing about it.

No comments: