Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Debunking Lies

Nice to see some articles vigorously debunking the latest round of lies

Ezra Klein wrote in the Washington Post Everything David Brooks says about reconciliation is wrong "Jon Chait did a very funny job taking apart David Brooks's column on reconciliation. I want to do a serious job on it. The factual statements Brooks uses in his argument are wrong. Not arguable, or questionable, or suspicious. Wrong. And since everything else flows from those wrong facts, the rest of the column can't be taken seriously."

David Gibson in Politics Daily wrote The Senate Bill Funds Abortions? Nope, and It's More Pro-Life Than the House Version "A close reading of the two bills, however, informed by analyses from a range of experts, reveals that the pro-life claims about the Senate bill and its abortion financing provisions are, in fact, mistaken. Indeed, the Senate bill is in some respects arguably stronger in barring abortion financing and in promoting abortion reduction."

And this isn't really a lie but more hypocracy. Think Progress writes Conservatives Who Demanded We ‘Listen To’ And ‘Stand Behind’ Gen. Petraeus Now Disregard Him.

4 comments:

Michael Critz said...

I miss Al Franken’s books & radio show. He was the best at debunking lies & lying liars. I just wish he’d given it all up for doing something productive instead of becoming US Senator of Minnesota.

Howard said...

I wasn't that big a fan of his, as early posts on this blog will show. I thought he would start out doing a good job and duck out for a joke too soon.

I think Rachel Maddow is doing a much better job than he ever did. She was great last night.

Michael Critz said...

I liked Rachel’s radio show because of her commentary, I hate her TV show for the same reasons. I think it’s great that she’s got a TV show and that it’s still funny, relevant, and incisive. I just don’t think MSNBC should be “Blue Fox.”

Howard said...

I feel that way about Olbermann. I think Rachel is still doing very well. A couple of times in the last few weeks I think she's crossed the line or come too close to it, but those are about the first times for me.

But she is one of the few calling lies what they are and giving the evidence to prove it. And I love it when she does it to someone's face.