Thursday, December 05, 2013

A Sea of Clouds Fills the Grand Canyon

In Focus shows A Sea of Clouds Fills the Grand Canyon "Weather conditions in Arizona's Grand Canyon last week gave rise to a rare phenomenon called total cloud inversion. Last Friday, and again on Sunday, the ground apparently released some of its heat rapidly enough at dawn to create a layer of cool, damp air inside the canyon, trapping it beneath the unusually warmer sky above the canyon walls and filling the space with a sea of fog. Park officials said the phenomenon is a once-in-a-decade occurrence and ran to capture these fantastic photos. (If your display can support it, I recommend selecting the 1280px option below.) [12 photos]"

S g02 95874696 500

1 comment:

Megs said...

When I was there Thanksgiving weekend 2003, I was lucky I'm a morning person (and that I had seen the Canyon 15-20 years prior). I saw the Canyon about 9 a.m. and within an hour it totally disappeared into fog