Thursday, September 08, 2011

Postbusters

I really liked the second half of this segment from The Daily Show last night:



I'm not sure what's going on with the post office. I know that much less junk mail is sent (moved to spam) which cost the post office a lot of revenue. Also I know compared to other delivery services, the post office must cover everywhere in the US which is very expensive. Apparently Fed Ex and the like don't deliver to some very rural areas or at least not as often or for more money. So the post office has a hard time competing. But I think mostly what this current issue is about is about funding their pension plan which Congress forces on them. Apparently there's $5 billion and there's debate about how it should be allocated. I don't know enough about to know if it's reasonable or raiding pensions, but I don't think USPS situation is as dire as headlines are making it out.

No comments: