Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New Kindles

The tech news of the day is the new Kindle models. Ars has two good articles, Amazon creates first viable non-iPad tablet by not copying the iPad and Hands-on with Amazon's new Kindles.

I'm not trading in my iPad anytime soon and I agree with the first article I think these are going to find a new market rather than kill an iPad. If I didn't have an iPad I'd be interested in the Fire though I'm not sure about the 7" screen for movies or games. I'm now interested in the Touch. At $99 and with an eInk screen, it seems like a digital book to bring to the beach. It will also fit in a few coat pockets that an iPad won't. So I might take it on a train or someplace to read more comfortably than on an iPhone. If I were traveling with a laptop and iPhone I might take one of these along the way I would take a paperback. If I were already traveling with an iPad I wouldn't. The fact that there's an iOS Kindle app that syncs your location in digital books is what makes it viable for me (as someone with Apple products) also Instapaper support.

No comments: