Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Google+

I mostly ignored Google's announcement yesterday of Google+. My thoughts were basically what xkcd expressed.

Then I learned Why Google+ Looks Good: Original Macintosh Team Member Andy Hertzfeld. Now Lifehacker explains, This Is What It's Like to Actually Use Google+, Google's New Social Network.

I've long praised Facebook for having pretty good security controls for users. Since it knows who you know and you can create lists for how you know them, you can do things like don't show my pictures to my work colleagues, only my friends. Though I'm not sure how practical that really is and I know most people don't do it. If Google+ circles makes this easier, I think that's a very good thing.

I don't use Facebook chat much but lifehacker is very impressed with Google+'s group video chatting.

Anyway, I'm a little more interested in it now though it's still useless unless your friends start using it. So far Facebook has a big lead in that department.

No comments: