Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Google Feature Trickle

I haven't really paid much attention to all the Google Apps stuff going on. I looked at it when announced and thought it had a lot of potential but wasn't quite baked yet. I know it's improved a lot but I haven't really gone back and looked at it or the myriad of other Google products like calendar, etc. I now think I know why.

Yesterday the Official Google Blog wrote Sharing with Google Groups "We recently rolled out improvements to the way Google Groups interacts with several of our applications. Now, sharing calendars, sites and documents with multiple people is easy — instead of adding people one at a time, you can simply share with an entire Google Group."

They keep rolling out one feature at a time and I really don't want to bother tracking changes at that granularity. Even with this announcement I was confused thinking this was groups in the contacts (aka address book) in Gmail, but no, it's the groups that does the public mailing lists (of which I'm on several). From a brief look it seems you still can't specify document access by groups in your gmail contacts. And in finding that out I had to remember that to get to Google Apps I click on "Documents" in the header of my gmail.

Maybe at somepoint Google will start really integrating their online apps and caring about the user experience across the line.

1 comment:

Jim McNelis said...

So you would rather wait years for features to be released? I personally prefer getting a new feature weekly vs. waiting years for software updates. To each his own I suppose.