Saturday, April 04, 2009

Movie Review: I Love You, Man

In spite of the fact I've seen a ton of movies this year, I've fallen way behind in my reviews. I'll try to catch up, but here's one that's worth catching. I Love You, Man. Even though he had nothing to do with it, it's a Judd Aptow-like comedy.

Paul Rudd plays Peter Klaven, a real estate agent who's engaged to Zooey, played by Rashida Jones. They are perfectly in love. Zooey has a lot of girl friends but Peter has no real guy friends. He's not socially challenged, he just always got along better with women and never really bonded with men. After overhearing Zooey's friends talking about an unbalanced wedding party he decides to make some guy friends. Jason Segel plays Sydney Fife, a serial bachelor and partial man-child. They meet at an open house Peter is running and start hanging out together.

To capture the tone of the film, I'll call these man dates. The film describes forming platonic male friendships as if they were romantic ones. None of the characters are idiots or morons but they are awkward in all the mundane moments of friendship. Paul Rudd was perfect and Jason Segel wore a cardigan like Lebowski wore a robe. Rashida Jones was adorable. A large supporting cast also that does a very good job. There are a few twists at just the right times to keep things interesting.

I laughed out loud many times. This is probably the most fun movie I've seen so far this year.

No comments: