Thursday, May 29, 2008

$580 Later

Sunday night my check engine light came on. I checked in the manual and it suggested tightening the gas cap and seeing if it went out in a few days. It didn't and I need to get my inspection in June. Wed I brought it in to my dealer to check; I've been happy with them since 1990. Here's the result:

"The check engine light was illuminated due to a P1457 which is an evap control system leak (evap canister area). Completed a function test and Honda tablet confirmed evap system leak. Tech determined faulty canister vent shut valve because it is not clicking when activated. Canister itself must also be replaced because the threaded inserts are just spinning within the canister, so the screws holding the CVS valve cannot be removed. Also a large amount of gas found inside the 2-way valve. Will also need 2-way valve and bypass solenoid replaced because of this. Replaced the canister, CVS valve bypass solenoid and 2-way valve. Re-ran an evap function test and it passed."

That came to $325 in parts and $240 in labor and $16 in taxes (all rounded off, so don't tell me the title is wrong). The lesson is apparently don't fill the tank up too far. When the nozzle clicks the first time, stop. Oddly the two gas stations closest to me with the cheapest prices are full serve, so I don't know if they've been filling it too far.

Another trick I learned. It's good to have a dealership close to a mall to kill time. And it's good to plan to be in Brookstone sitting in a $4000 massage chair when they call to tell you how much it will cost to fix your car. Those things have really progressed in last 10 years; they're a little better than the ones I saw in Japan in 2001.

No comments: