Monday, October 01, 2007

Death at Phoenix Airport

"Phoenix police offered details Monday about how a 45-year-old woman died in police custody at Phoenix's Sky Harbor International Airport."

This story really doesn't make a lot of sense to me yet. I want to know what she was so disorderly about. How do you slip handcuffs from behind your back over your head? My arms don't do that. I would try to slip then under my feet. Why was she left alone? Was she not being video taped? Why are holding cells the only place at an airport that's not under surveillance? It's one of the places that's supposed to be guaranteed to have suspicious people.

And I have to say reading the article I was reminded of Strunk and White's admonition to remove useless words. Neck area? "Use a taser device on her" versus "taser her"? On the Today show I saw some official say she "expired".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's another why... WHY was she trying to escape from handcuffs?

I am severely disturbed by the tragedy that has unfolded here, but reading most of the comments I've seen on blogs, CNN.com, etc, I am convinced that most parties have their minds made up about what happened here despite the lack of information that the public has received.