Saturday, October 27, 2007

Can't Buy an iPhone With Cash?

Apple has a new policy on selling the wildly popular iPhone, Two Per Person and No Cash. They're trying to prevent unauthorized reselling (of probably unlocked phones). I'm fine with that and if I were to buy one (if AT&T had decent coverage at my home) I'd use a credit card. But I'm curious, is a no cash policy legal? On my money it says "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private." Is it legal in the US to sell something for dollars and not accept, you know, money?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The paranoid in me wonders...

- AT&T is known to be illegally giving the government data on US citizen

- The iPhone requires AT&T service.

- You are required to use a credit card (tied to your identity) to make the initial purchase.

I'll let you finish the equation.