Monday, July 30, 2007

Movie Review: The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie opened on Friday. I saw it on Saturday and then again on Sunday. Yes, I loved it. I think they completely nailed this. It's like a really good long episode that has no problems sustaining itself for an hour and a half. I laughed almost constantly at this film, both times. In fact the two groups of people I saw it with both commented on this ("Well we know how Howard felt about it"). It's 88 minutes long and I laughed during about 84 of them. Two times we weren't supposed to laugh and I didn't, and about 2 jokes didn't work for me.

One problem with writing this review is that there's so much in this film, even after seeing it twice I have a hard time remembering specific lines, because it was all so good. Like a good episode, the plot jumps around a lot while keeping a strong narrative thread. Part of the fun is just keeping up with the ride, as such I won't spoil anything with what would be a pointless plot recap. The story concentrates on the family. Bart and Homer have good father-son fights, bonding and adventure; Homer and Marge have lots of good scenes and some pathos; Lisa meets the perfect guy ("And I still haven't told you best part") and Maggie saves the day several times.

There are some really funny lines, lots of visual puns and some good music. I also really appreciate that the trailers didn't ruin anything. Yes, Spider-Pig is even funnier in the movie. If there's a flaw in the film it's that aside from Ned Flanders, the supporting characters don't have much more than cameos. Many have good lines that are in character, and Ralph Wiggum has two fantastic ones (I'll now always think of him when I hear the word "blowback"). There are a few large crowd scenes that might hold everyone who's ever been on the show but I missed Kang and Kodos. There were fewer guest voices than I expected. Tom Hanks makes a good appearance. Albert Brooks has a big role as an evil government official but I found his very recognizable voice distracting and not quite in character since he doesn't normally play evil.

I've seen complaints that unlike the South Park movie, South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut, (which was fantastic), this film doesn't go much further than the TV show. That's true but I think there's a reason. South Park the TV show is definately not for kids and the movie went straight for the R rating. The Simpsons is kinda for kids, at least for older kids and the movie is just a PG-13 version of the show. Is it for young kids? There are several quick bits that might be difficult to explain. Homer gives people the finger, Otto is actually shown smoking a bong, there's a scene with Bart skateboarding naked through town that goes a little further than the TV show.

I thought there might have been a mistake and needed to go back and watch Lisa's First Word (season 4, episode 10). Lisa's first word was "Bart" and Maggie's was "Daddy" (voiced by Elizabeth Taylor), though no one else heard it.

In a review filled with plot details, the Washington Post said "It's really one of the best movies of the year." I completely agree; it's certainly the funniest.

I have to say one thing that's a very mild spoiler. See below if you're willing.

*Spoiler*

At one point the Simpsons house is destroyed (in a visual homage to Poltergeist) and I have to admit, I was really sad looking at the rubble of all of their memories. I hope the TV show never ends, I'm not sure I could handle it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered going into the laugh track business?

Howard said...

At every comedy I'm just waiting to be discovered :)

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ-JSLtuZto

I knew it was Maggie! Not Lisa!

You have no idea how long this was eating at me. :p

Roberto

Howard said...

Probably since we saw it :) I looked it up right afterwards and included the info in my review above.