Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Why I Want an iPhone

I'll admit, I'm really hoping to see Apple announce a cellphone soon. It's simple, I want a phone to be a good phone and to integrate phone technologies with my mac easily. Ok, so everyone want music integration too. If it behaved like an iPod Nano, I'd be fine with that. But I care mostly about the phone features, here's what i want:

A cool, easy-to-use design. The iPod changed everything with the touch-wheel and then the click-wheel. Maybe the phone will have a new input device. I really liked the scroll-wheel on my old Sony (now on Blackberries and other smart phones). I hope it will have a normal keypad but my guess is it will probably be hidden and hopefully not needed often.

It's a phone, I should be able to talk to it to do most of what I want it to do. I mostly like my RAZR's voice dialing. It's great that I don't have to record the names, it compares what I say to the text names in the address book. Unfortunately it usually asks me to confirm, "Did you say, call x @ home?"

I want it to sync with my Mac's Address Book wirelessly (probably via bluetooth). I want the picture I have in Address Book to be sync'ed to the phone and I want to see the picture when they call me (and when I call them). I don't need a crappy camera in the phone until I can do video conferencing a la iChat. If there is a camera, it better work with iPhoto. I also want Address Book to remember speed dial numbers and when contacts have multiple numbers, to preserve the order of the numbers, as well as personalized ringtones per contact.

I should be able to manually enter items on the phone, maybe it won't be much easier than what I can do today but I should be able to be out someplace and ask someone for their info and type it in, or take it from the caller id log. It would be cool to beam a vcard from another iPhone, but did anyone really do that with a Palm Pilot (I did it twice)?

I want it to sync my calendar and appointments with iCal, much as my iPod can. I want to see the schedule and I want configured alarms to go off. I don't need to be able to create new items on the phone, too many buttons required for that. But it would be nice to be able to delete an item and to create a place holder for a new item with a voice memo attached. When I sync it with my computer, have it create the new item in iCal and let me listen to the memo to be able to enter all the stuff with a full keyboard and links to attendees, etc.

In fact I want a good voice memo system so that when I get home I can copy the memos to the computer and integrate them my todos, like with the new todo service in Leopard.

It should work like phone, not requiring headphones, though it should work with them and I'd really like a speaker phone. And of course it should have decent battery life, I want to be able to go away for a weekend, keep the phone on and even use it a few time without recharging it. Ok, that would be great battery life, if I have to plug it in at night, it's ok.

I'm still waiting for a good video iPod, I can wait for full web access, email, GPS location, games, RSS readers, etc. I just want a device that's a good phone, a small mp3 player and has very simple organizer for contacts and appointments (mostly read-only with simple write capabilities). I don't really care about text messaging but I assume it has to have some basic capabilities for everyone else.

No comments: