Friday, January 04, 2008

HD and DRM on Computers

Davis Freeberg describes how he finally got a new HD monitor for his computer and can show true HD video. But he ran into problems with Neftlix watch now and MS DRM that I don't completely follow. Something wanted to check the licensed hardware to actually see purchased HD video in actual HD and in doing so will invalidate all the licenses of content from a different vendor. Sounds dumb and sounds like a problem I never want to have to deal with.

"The irony in all of this, is that the DRM that Hollywood is so much in love with, is really only harming their paying customers. When you do a DRM reset, it’s not your pirated files that get revoked, it’s the ones that you already paid for that are at risk. I’m not allowed to watch low res Netflix files, even though I have the capability to download high def torrents? How does this even make sense? It’s as if the studios want their digital strategies to fail."

This is Hollywood's and Microsoft's problem. Fix it before I buy your stuff. (And no, I have no idea what the equivalent situation is on the mac).

No comments: