Sunday, January 27, 2008

Caroline Kennedy Picks Obama

Caroline Kennedy wrote an op-ed in the New York Times in which she endorses Obama. A President Like My Father.

"Most of us would prefer to base our voting decision on policy differences. However, the candidates’ goals are similar. They have all laid out detailed plans on everything from strengthening our middle class to investing in early childhood education. So qualities of leadership, character and judgment play a larger role than usual."

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's 1990 book In Our Defense was the first law book I read and the first to get me interested in the Bill of Rights and the Supreme Court. It goes through each of the first ten amendments giving briefs of cases that have tested and defined the boundaries of our rights. The 1995 follow up, The Right to Privacy (both with co-author Ellen Alderman) was also great.

No comments: