Monday, January 27, 2014

The Woody Allen Allegations

Robert Weide writes about The Woody Allen Allegations: Not So Fast. I didn't know much of the incident and much of what I thought I knew was wrong. If you have an opinion on the subject it's worth a read, if you don't, then I support you in continuing to not bother to.

I watched his latest (Oscar nominated) film Blue Jasmine this weekend. It was pretty good. Certainly Cate Blanchett's nomination was well deserved and so is her front-runner status. The story telling impressively weaves in and out of present and past events. I'd call it a character study of Bernie Madoff's wife if she was a Woody Allen neurotic but it's really a variation on A Streetcar Named Desire.

It also has the standard Woody Allen problem of being about people who live in homes that they cannot possibly afford. I have no idea what Woody Allen thinks a grocery store bagger makes or what apartments cost, but the film gets the relationship completely wrong. He has the same issue with what he thinks a foreign service employee can afford.

No comments: