Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Twine - Listen to your world, talk to the Internet

"Twine is a wireless sensor block tightly integrated with a cloud-based service. The durable, rubbery block has WiFi, on-board temperature and orientation sensors, and an expansion connector for other sensors. Power is supplied by micro USB or two AAA batteries (and Twine will email you when you need to change the batteries).

The Twine web app makes it simple to set up and monitor your Twines from a browser anywhere. You set rules to trigger messages — no programming needed. The rules are put together with a palette of available conditions and actions, and read like English: WHEN moisture sensor gets wet THEN text 'The basement is flooding!' We'll get you started with a bunch of rule sets, and you can share rules you create with other Twine owners."

Neat idea.

3 comments:

The Dad said...

While it is definitely a neat idea, I can't see spending $214 on a gadget to tell me that my garage door is open. On the other hand if I DID have one of these, I would place it in front of my coffee maker to sound an alarm when I have made coffee but forgot to empty the old coffee from the carafe first, causing the new stuff to spill all over the counter and onto the floor (something I do about once every three months).

Howard said...

The basic one starts at just $125 :)

Karl said...

This still seems like a huge mark-up for the fancy packaging. There is a fairly robust hobbiest market for remote sensing using open source hardware.