Thursday, July 12, 2012

Nail Ladies

I thought I blogged the LA Times story Donors arrive at Hamptons fundraisers with advice for Mitt Romney, but I guess I didn't. There's a lot of attention to this quote:
"I don't think the common person is getting it," she said from the passenger seat of a Range Rover stamped with East Hampton beach permits. "Nobody understands why Obama is hurting them.

"We've got the message," she added. "But my college kid, the baby sitters, the nails ladies -- everybody who's got the right to vote -- they don't understand what's going on. I just think if you're lower income -- one, you're not as educated, two, they don't understand how it works, they don't understand how the systems work, they don't understand the impact."


Paul Krugman had some fun:

"So I was curious: what do “nails ladies” earn? The answer, according to the BLS Occupational Employment Statistics, is that in 2010 the mean annual wage of Manicurists and Pedicurists(395092) was $21,760. Among other things, this means that nails ladies probably face a higher marginal effective tax rate than Romney donors."

No comments: