Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Why Netflix’s Price Hike Doesn’t Bother Me

I mostly agree with Techland, Why Netflix’s Price Hike Doesn’t Bother Me

I still pay $20 for my original 3 disc plan. I'll probably shift to a 1 disc plan with streaming, saving $4 a month. For a lot of the people whining, I think they should remember they got streaming added to their existing disc plan for free, it wasn't going to last forever.

I still like netflix because it has a lot of discs I couldn't find elsewhere. I hope they can add more to their streaming offerings. I currently have 283 films in my DVDs queue and 135 in the instant queue. I suspect the price raise and differentiation has a lot to do with negotiating with the studios for streaming rights. The studios are trying to figure out the future and Netflix is starting to produce their own content, so I'm sure negotiations are fun.

2 comments:

Irina said...

I'm with you. Netflix's health is in my daily prayers.

Howard said...

David Pogue has a post today, Why Netflix Raised Its Prices that has some more info.

Still he says "In other words, even at $16, Netflix still gives you more than anyone else." and "Mr. Swasey has it half right: it’s gone from an extreme terrific value — to an average one." These are only one sentence apart and I'm not sure how a deal better than anyone else's is merely "average".