Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Quiet

CFC will be pretty quiet for a while. I'm leaving tomorrow for an annual party over the 4th. This week I've been watching the Kagan hearings and while I find them vaguely interesting (she's smart and funny) I haven't found anything to write about.

I've also been playing with the new iPhone I got yesterday. Here's a tip if you're thinking of buying one in CA, MA or RI. The phone costs $600 but with a 2 year contract it's just $200; but... If you buy from Apple in one of those states you still pay tax on the $600, if you buy from AT&T you pay tax on only the discounted price. Aren't laws fun? So far it's a much faster device and the camera is much better and the compass is great with the star chart app I use (Starmap). I've always had weak AT&T reception in my home and this might be a little worse (I've had 3 of 4 calls dropped but one after 30 mins). A friend has had no problems, so I think this is probably right, in places with good reception, the "death grip" isn't an issue, but in places with bad reception it's worse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to waiting a while for getting the phone?

I have found my reception both 3g and wifi is much better. I was able to replicate the death grip on the day I read about it, but have been unable to get it to happen since

Howard said...

A week is a while :) A friend got one on pre-order and had no problems with it. Also I upgraded my 3G to iOS4 and liked it but found it a bit slow. So it seemed worth trying. I'm still happy I did, though a 4.0.1 update that tweaked things a little would be useful.