Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Movie Review: La Dolce Vita

I saw Fellini's La Dolce Vita tonight. I'd write a review but I think Ebert already said it all in his review. Seriously I think it's the best of his reviews that I've ever read.

For a film that's supposed to be so iconic, I don't think I've ever seen any of the shots in it. If the point is to show that the life of the idle rich is empty, I got the message in the first hour and unlike Sunday night's Mad Men, I don't think anything would have been lost by trimming it down from it's 3 hours. Also, Yvonne Furneaux looked just like Carla Gugino.

2 comments:

Michael Critz said...

I love La Dolce Vita. It's a film told in metaphor. The things on screen are just proxies. I would suggest renting the DVD and listening to the commentary track. It won't convince you to enjoy the film, but I think you'll learn a new perspective.

Howard said...

I might well do that, but it will be a little bit before I get to it. I'd love a few examples if you could give me some.