Monday, March 31, 2008

Movie Review: The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

I got The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra from Netflix on the advice of two different sets of friends, otherwise I never would have heard of it. It came out a few years ago in very limited release and is a spoof of B grade sci-fi films from the fifties, done as a straight up black and white grade B sci-fi film. There are aliens, mutants, scientists and their wives, a forest ranger, a woman made from a cat and of course a skeleton. The special effects and costumes aspire to Lost in Space quality. It took me a few minutes but then I realized this was one of the funniest films I've seen in a very long time. It's just amazing that virtually every single line is a quotable deadpan gem. Here are a few examples:

"Aliens? Us? Is this one of your Earth jokes?"
"I must make a skeleton meatier using a crowbar covered in lettuce."
"I've seen a bear do things, well... even things that even a bear wouldn't do."
"Of course, Betty, it's absurd. Putting the Amish in glass cases would be inhumane."
"Moons... teaspoons... that's all gibberish to me I'm afraid."
"Ranger Brad, I'm a scientist, I don't believe in anything."


No comments: