Thursday, November 22, 2007

How Elvis Got Fat

Forbes has an article called Extreme Eats describing crazy disgusting food which seem to be mostly invented by Americans.

"Elvis Presley made famous a meal known as the Fool's Gold Loaf, reportedly his favorite: To construct one, mix one jar of peanut butter, one jar of grape jelly and a pound of bacon. Scoop the mixture inside a hollowed-out loaf of fresh-baked bread, smother the outside in butter and bake. Elvis would eat the whole thing in one sitting--and once flew from Memphis to Denver in the middle of the night to get one from a restaurant called the Colorado Mine Company."
eat_02.jpg

They have a picture gallery where you can see a Turducken, a 100% Bacon Patty Hamburger, Deep Fried Pizza, The Philly Taco, and more.

7 comments:

Anna said...

You had me going for a minute! I thought you actually made that... sandwich? Can I call it a sandwich?

To be honest, I now really want to try it. I think it sounds kinda good. I will eat it on the way to the hospital, where they will be waiting for me for a quintuple bypass.

Howard said...

The closest I've gone down this road is a deep fried oreo, and it was really tasty. Though like in Princess Bride, I could feel one year come off my life with each bite.

Anna said...

Oh I had deep fried Oreos as well! Taaaaasty. Although not as good as a deep fried Twinkie.

It's amazing I can still walk without aid.

Howard said...

I haven't tried the Twinkee, is it really worth it compared to the Oreo?

And God help me. After this article I want one bite of a deep fried pizza. I can't really imagine what that's like.

Anonymous said...

I hope you guys had your cholesterol check...

Howard said...

Last night I tried one piece of chicken fried bacon at Jake's in Waltham. I didn't quite work. The fried coating overwhelmed the bacon and yet the bacon was a little burned (and I do like my bacon crisp).

Anonymous said...

OMG. Fool's Gold Loaf must have 5000 calories not to mention thr fat.