Friday, May 25, 2007

Courtroom Dramas

Cleaning out some email I came across this list I sent someone. These are the best Courtroom Drama movies; the first 6 are all must-sees, seriously. Stanley Kramer directed 3 of them, Sidney Lumet 2. Spensor Tracy stars in the 3 of them.

12 Angry Men (1957) - Sidney Lumet directs one of my favorite films
Inherit the Wind (1960) - My favorite book I read in school, and I did badly on the exam because they asked crap like what color was his suit, entirely missing the point. Read Summer of the Gods for the true story.
Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) - The Bush administration needs to watch this
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Gregory Peck in Harper Lee's classic
Witness for the Prosecution (1957) - Billy Wilder directs an Agatha Christie tale
Adam's Rib (1949) - Tracy and Hepburn at their best
Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - Otto Preminger directs Jimmy Stewart and a great cast
The Caine Mutiny (1954) - not exactly a courtroom drama, but it culminates in a great one.
A Few Good Men (1992) - written by Aaron Sorkin, directed by Rob Reiner, "You can't handle the truth"
The Verdict (1982) - directed by Sidney Lumet, written by David Mamet, starring Paul Newman, I was too young to appreciate it when I first saw it and have to see it again.

No comments: