Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I'm Old

Last Friday I realized I'm officially old. I left my credit card at Olive Garden. Now I was I taking a friend out for lunch for her birthday and she picked the restaurant; also the credit card process was a little odd with 4 printed receipts instead of the usual three; but those are all just excuses. I forgot my credit card at Olive Garden. I've never left my credit card anywhere before. I didn't realize it until the evening when I went out to a billiards bar near Fenway (lots of young people there, a friend had won two free hours at 2 tables and two platters of bar food). When I realized what happened, I called Olive Garden and they had the card. They did say that a lot of people had done the same thing that day, but that didn't make me feel any better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, by that reasoning i've been old for as long as i've *had* a credit card...

sure that doesn't make you feel better (ESPECIALLY considering the source : )

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. I left mine at Borders last year and didn't realize it for about 4 days! Luckily they still had it. Then, later last year, while cleaning my place, I accidentally threw away 4 crdit cards for stores!

Anonymous said...

This reminds of this story I heard from a friend who left his credit card at the Olive Garden...

...oh wait, that was you. I must be getting old too.

:-)

The Dad said...

I've found it's not so much age but the amount of gadgets and other "carry-with" items that trigger this. Cell, Palm, keys, Bluetooth, iPod, etc...or as Carlin says, "wallet, keys, condoms, hangnail clipper...". Basically the more you have to carry with you the more chance there is of leaving one behind. I'm now on my third Bluetooth headset, having lost two others. I perhaps spend more time searching for my wallet each day than I do sitting at red lights. Every once in a while I "take inventory", putting all my important items in their little homes where they belong. It's a very cleansing thing to do.

I have a large wad of keys on a big strap (so it's easier to find when I need them) that I typically carry in my jacket pocket. This morning I approached my car in the garage and reached in my pocket for them. Not there. I then spent the next half our searching for them, knowing the couldn't have gone far. About to give up I put my hands in my pockets and discovered they were right there all along. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

No, you are ok... I forgot my glasses today and realized that when I was about to drive out...