Thursday, November 01, 2007

Comet Holmes Viewing

Tonight was clear so I went out to see Comet Holmes. I looked in the sky where I thought it was supposed to be and kinda saw a blurry spot. If you looked quickly (and my eyes hadn't really adjusted to the dark yet) you would probably miss it, but if you looked for a few seconds you'd say, yeah I think there's a star there.

I then looked through my new Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II binoculars and I literally said out loud "holy crap!" I saw a big fuzzy blob about twenty times the size of a star next to it. it looked about the size of the first pic on this page. There wasn't detail like in the pic but it was this big fuzzy thing.

I then looked through some old Nikon 9x25 binocs I have. it was the same size blob but much much dimmer. It was still hard to see through these but you could say I think I kinda see a big thing there.

So if you have some good binoculars around, go outside and look at this thing. It's very very cool.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

We tried to view it with our admittedly cheapo binoculars and really just saw nothing. Michael said, "I think I see it." I said, "I'm going to bed."

Glad you got to see it though.