Thursday, October 04, 2007

Headlines and an old Iran Story

I sometimes save drafts of articles that I'm not sure about posting. I went through those recently and came across this one. Now I have a completely different view on it.

The front page of the Boston Globe on July 25, 2007 had this story, US, Iran will cooperate on Iraq security. Somehow the headline didn't catch my eye. Maybe because the longer words "cooperate" and "security" dominated the space over the shorter country names. The story continued on page A8 with the headline "US, Iran to work together on Iraq". That did catch my eye and I went back to the front page to start from the beginning.

Now I want to know know what happened to this cooperation?

"During a tense seven-hour meeting in Baghdad yesterday, the United States accepted an Iranian proposal to set up a joint committee on security in Iraq, marking a major shift in US policy toward engagement with the Iranian regime. The committee will provide the first direct, sustained forum for dialogue between the United States and Iran in 27 years. The group, which will include Iraqi officials, is expected to focus on fighting Al Qaeda in Iraq, securing Iraq's borders, and controlling violent militias, according to Ryan Crocker, the US ambassador to Iraq."

Did either side give it a chance?

No comments: