The New York Times reports 2 Officers Are Shot Outside Ferguson Police Station. This is a horrible event and I hope they catch the perpetrators quickly and officers heal quickly and fully.
As an exercise in absurdity, I wonder if this event will generate similar questions to recent violent events involving guns and the police. Let me try to think of some:
- Did the shooters fear for their lives?
- Were the officers from the area, had people seen them around before?
- Did they rob a store earlier in the day?
- Were the officers on the sidewalk or in the street?
- Were they overweight so that they would have a better chance to survive this event if they hadn't been?
- Have they every smoked pot?
- How were their grades in school?
- Were their parents on welfare?
- What were they wearing?
- What kind of music did they listen to?
- How did they speak? Did they swear?
- How long were their bodies in the street before ambulances came?
- Were they Muslim?
Just to be clear, the answer to all these questions is "it doesn't matter".
And yet again I'll wait for the standard NRA solution to be proposed: if only these officers were armed with guns this wouldn't have happened. Oh, right.