Thursday, May 10, 2012

Obama's Historic Affirmation of Same-Sex Marriage

I'm surprised at all the hoopla at Obama's support for Gay marriage. I'm certainly glad he did it as it seems obvious, and should be obvious to him too, that civil unions are merely separate but equal. I sent him some money "to reinforce good behavior" but I'm surprised by how many posts I've seen about it and how much commentary I've seen about it. Glenn Greenwald makes a good case for this, Obama's historic affirmation of same-sex marriage.

"US media coverage Thursday has been fixated on the micro aspects of Obama's announcement: his motives, how it will affect the election, the role that internal administrative divisions played in his decision. But 20 years from now, none of that will matter. The historic event is that same-sex marriage, for the first time, now has a supporter in the Oval Office.

There are many disappointments and truly bad acts for which President Obama is responsible, but for one day at least, on this single issue, he demonstrated authentic and important leadership on a civil rights issue that affects millions."

No comments: