Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hard Drive Issues

I run SMARTReporter on my mac and it started reporting some disk i/o errors yesterday. I've got good backups and am going to the genius bar today to see if I need a new drive. Then of course the question is, if I do, do I spend $500 on a 256GB SSD? My current (3.5 year old mac) drive is only 200GB so it would be a size increase. Though I could get a 750GB HD for about $120.

My plan was also to switch to an iMac with a 27" screen and good graphics card to be ready for Diablo III (and use the iPad for portability). Then I realized this is a tax free weekend in MA... But because Quicken doesn't run on 10.7 yet, I was going to keep the macbook pro on 10.6 and use it for Quicken, so I have to keep it running. Is it worth an SSD for that?

Anyway, blogging will be light, but I'll probably still update the HowardLikedThis Twitter feed (on the right) as that's easy from the iPad.

FYI, my backup strategy is basically the same as grahams', though I don't (yet?) do the offsite stuff.

2 comments:

Karl said...

My hard drive recently locked up on me and had to be replaced. I unfortunately had no warning and keep what could at best be described as haphazard backups. But more on point to your situation, the main benefit of an SSD is going to be the lack of moving parts (more shock tolerant, quieter and cooler). I've heard mixed things about access speeds (which theoretically should be faster). It is driven more by the OS and supporting technology and I don’t know how Mac's stack up. If you're just looking to use it for quicken (which doesn't need fast speeds and probably won't be used portably) I wouldn't even consider an SSD. My general apprehension with flash memories is probably not relevant to today's devices, but the ~10x cost differential would seal it.

Howard said...

So I brought to the apple store and they ran some quick tests and it was fine, but still I/o errors are sign of it going. They wanted $180ish to replace with a 250GB drive but had a 5-7 day turn around.

He walked me through some tips of doing it myself. I'd be comfortable on the next later model, but for mine it's a lot of odd shaped screws and then taking the front off which involves snapping and bad sounds nd being careful with one cable in particular.

They also recommended the Computer Loft in Allston. I walked in, and for the same $180 will get a new 250GB drive installed in a few hours. I just got a ticket for the 2:30 showing of The Trip at the Coolidge Corner Theatre (where I'm a member) so it's working out fine. I mint be the only person in the theater so I might answer my phone when it's ready :)

I'm stil thinking of the iMac so I also figured it wasn't worth the ssd in the secondary machine. I doubt the ssd would make it good enough for fun Diablo III playing (still the same 4 year old graphics) so there's still a new machine in my future, just not sure when.