Tuesday, January 27, 2009

iWork '09 First Impressions

I got my Mac Box Set at the Apple Store today. It's certainly a good deal. I already have Leopard but will give the new license to my sister. I installed iLife and iWork. iLife required a reboot and took about 15 minutes. It replaces the installed iLife apps. iWork install was done in about 5 minutes and creates a new iWork '09 folder so your iWork '08 installation is still there. If you're happy with the new iWork, remember to delete the '08 version to reclaim some disk space.

A few quick observations in Pages and Numbers. I opened my Quicksilver Manual in Pages '09 and it opened quickly. There is a format upgrade going on but it's just a few seconds, which is significantly better than the upgrade to '08 (which hung my machine for a while).

I looked at the manual in Outline view and wasn't that impressed with the results. It might be better if I started the document that way. I didn't play with it long.

Full screen mode is oddly on option-command-U but it looked pretty good. The tool bar that appears when you mouse to the top of the screen had a zoom drop down and I choose 2 Up and Fit Page. Two pages fit very nicely on my 24" Cinema Display. The page break was in the middle of the screen so I scrolled so that the two full pages were on the screen, the page break was not visible. Then I hit the Page Down button the keyboard and it scrolled, but it scrolled just a little more than a full page and the page break was visible a little from the top. Hitting Page Down repeatedly moved this down further on the screen. I found no way to correct this. Did no tester hit Page Down in Full Screen mode?

What worse is when I went back to the regular view I still had two pages wide displayed in the window. I looked through all the tool bars and menus to undo the 2 Up presentation but didn't find anything. I use the Help search feature (add to Leopard) and it didn't find anything. I had to go back to Full Screen mode and use the Zoom drop down in its toolbar. LAME.

Numbers now has a nice Function Browser, similar to what's in Excel. When I first opened it, it was a small dialog with two columns on top and one wide column on the bottom. The top left was formula categories (Engineering, Financial, etc.) and the top right listed the function names in the selected category. The bottom panel was blank. It turns out the help text was in there but there is a huge blank header and I needed to scroll down to see the text of the documentation. It was good, and making the browser window bigger helped, but there's no reason for the large blank header.

No comments: