Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A 13 Year-Old Tries a Walkman

BBC News Magazinge reports on Giving up my iPod for a Walkman "The Magazine invited 13-year-old Scott Campbell to swap his iPod for a Walkman for a week."

"It took me three days to figure out that there was another side to the tape. That was not the only naive mistake that I made; I mistook the metal/normal switch on the Walkman for a genre-specific equaliser, but later I discovered that it was in fact used to switch between two different types of cassette."

"Personally, I'm relieved I live in the digital age, with bigger choice, more functions and smaller devices. I'm relieved that the majority of technological advancement happened before I was born, as I can't imagine having to use such basic equipment every day."


The Dad said...

Back in MY day Walkmen were called BOOKS.

Karl said...

I'm just glad to know that "the majority of technological advancement" is already done and I don't have to worry about any new gadgets.

Michael Critz said...

When I first read that article I thought, “damn has it really been 13 years since Walkmen were around.” After doing the math… yeah, pretty much.

Megs said...

A few months ago I was wishing my iPod could have radio on it, be able to choose AM and FM stations, and then I realised - oh wait, that's basically what a walkman was (besides the tape part). I do miss being able to listen to live news shows or sports (and no, I don't have an iPhone and won't get one because then I'll have to carry 3 phones w/ me).