Monday, July 15, 2013

Werner Herzog And Errol Morris Discuss The Importance of THE ACT OF KILLING

Badass Digest presents Werner Herzog And Errol Morris Discuss The Importance of THE ACT OF KILLING, it's a 12 min video that's too big to embed here.

I saw The Act of Killing at IFFBoston. I'm still thinking about it. Constantly. It's one of the most amazing films I've ever seen. It's a documentary following people in Indonesia making a film about their experiences operating a death squad 40 years ago. Their side won, so they were never punished for their actions and don't even hide it. The whole society is experiencing PTSD or something. If it were fiction I'd never believe it. It's real and I don't understand it. It was riveting the whole two hours and each scene was more uncomfortable than the last.

It's not for everyone, but it's not (really) violent. At least it's not bloody, there isn't footage of the acts, just of people talking about them, and reenacting them with the makeup of a grade C horror film. There are also inexplicable water falls, dancing girls and a guy in drag, in a giant fish.

It opens in NY this weekend and in various US cities this summer. It plays in Boston at the Kendall August 2-8.

See it. I don't often feel this strongly about a film. It's probably the best documentary I've ever seen and one of the best movies. See it.

No comments: